When audits turn into comedy routines

Have you ever had an audit that felt more like a stand-up routine than a financial review? I remember one time discovering a client had coded ‘miscellaneous’ on every transaction just to throw us off. If I had a dollar for every time I’ve encountered a creative explanation, I’d never need to detect money laundering again. Anyone else want to share their funniest audit moments?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌‍‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠​⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠‌‍​‌‌‍​⁠‌‍​⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠‌‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​‌‍​‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‌⁠⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌‍​⁠​‌​⁠​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​‌‍‌​‌‍‌​⁠⁠‌⁠​⁠‌‍‌⁠‌‍‌​‌‌​⁠‌​‍⁠​⁠​⁠​⁠‌⁠‌‍‍​‌⁠​⁠‌‍‌‌‌​⁠⁠‌‌‌⁠​⁠‌‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

I once had a client who wrote off a luxury vacation as a ‘business trip’ — complete with photos of them sunbathing with a cocktail. It’s wild how some folks think their creativity won’t catch up to them! Has anyone else dealt with such extravagant excuses, or do you think we’re just scratching the surface here?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌‍‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠​⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠‌‍​‌‌‍​⁠‌‍​⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠‌‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​‌‍​‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠​‍​⁠‍‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌‍​⁠​‌​⁠‌‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠‌‍‌‌‍‍‌‌‌‍‌⁠​‌‌‌‍‍‌​‌‌‌‌‌⁠‌​⁠‌‌‍‍‌‌​⁠⁠‌​‍​‌​⁠​‌​‌⁠​⁠‌⁠‌‍​⁠‌‍‍​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

Funny you mention ‘miscellaneous’ — I once had a client who categorized every expense under that just to confuse the audit trail. It turned into a scavenger hunt just to figure out what the spending was for! It makes me wonder if we should add ‘creativity’ as a category in our audit books?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌‍‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠​⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠‌‍​‌‌‍​⁠‌‍​⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠‌‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​‌‍​‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠​‍​⁠‍‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌‍​⁠​‌​⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​​‍‌⁠​‌‌⁠‍‌‌⁠‍‌‌​⁠‍‌⁠‌‍​⁠‌⁠​⁠​‍‌⁠‌‍​⁠​⁠‌‌‍​‌​‌⁠​⁠​‌‌‌‍‍‌⁠​‌‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​