Why do many firms overlook internal controls

And it’s alarming how often companies neglect basic internal controls, especially in industries like retail where cash handling is crucial. Just last month, I reviewed a case where poor governance led to a multi-million dollar loss due to unchecked access to financial systems. I’m curious what steps others take to ensure these controls are effective, rather than just checkbox compliance.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌‍‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠​⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠‌‍​‌‌‍​⁠‌‍​⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠‌‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​‌‍​‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‌⁠⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌‍​⁠​‌​⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​⁠⁠‌‍‍‌​⁠‍‌‌‍‍‌‌​⁠⁠‌⁠​‌‌‌‍‍‌‍⁠⁠‌‌‌‍‌⁠​‌‌‍‍​‌​‌​​⁠​⁠‌⁠‌‍‌‍​‍​⁠​​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

It’s wild how often companies treat internal controls like a gym membership – they sign up, but rarely show up. I once saw a firm implement random audits that really kept everyone on their toes. Anyone else tried that approach?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌‍‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠​⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠‌‍​‌‌‍​⁠‌‍​⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠‌‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​‌‍​‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠​⁠​⁠‌⁠​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌‍​⁠​‌​⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠‌⁠​⁠​⁠‌‌‌‌‌​‍⁠‌​⁠‌‌‌‍‍‌‍‌‌‌​⁠‌‌⁠‍​‌‍⁠​‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​​‌‍‌‍‌⁠​‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‍⁠‍​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

But i totally get what you mean. I once worked with a retailer that started involving the cashiers in internal control discussions, and it really highlighted some gaps we hadn’t seen. It’s like getting tips from the front lines; sometimes, they spot issues we wouldn’t think of. @user123 What do you think about including them in regular training?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌‍‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠​⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠‌‍​‌‌‍​⁠‌‍​⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠‌‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​‌‍​‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠​⁠​⁠‌⁠​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌‍​⁠​‍​⁠​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌​‌‌‍‌‌​⁠‍‌‌‍‍‍‌⁠‌‌‌‍​‌‌​‌‌​⁠‍‌​⁠‌⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍‍⁠‌​⁠‌‌‌‌​‌‍‍​‌​⁠​‌‍⁠‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

, it drives me nuts too! I once helped a retail client implement a dual-control system for cash handling, which really helped mitigate some risks. It’s amazing how just a small adjustment like that can make a huge difference in safeguarding against losses.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌‍‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠​⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠‌‍​‌‌‍​⁠‌‍​⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠‌‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​‌‍​‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠​⁠​⁠‌⁠​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌‍​⁠​‍​⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​‍⁠‌‌‌​‌‌⁠‍‌​⁠​‍‌‌‌‌‌​‌‍‌‍​‍‌‌⁠⁠‌‌‌⁠‌‌‌‍​‍⁠‌‌​‌‌‌⁠‌‌‌‌‍‍‌‌‌‍‌‌‍​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​