Why do they even try

I recently reviewed a claim where the insured attempted to pass off a picture of a rusty old bike as a brand-new electric model. What cracks me up is the sheer lack of effort — like, a quick Google search would have revealed the model’s actual price. It’s moments like these that make me question whether they’re trying to pull one over or just getting lazy with their scams. Anyone else come across hilariously obvious claims like this?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌‍‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠​⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠‌‍​‌‌‍​⁠‌‍​⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠‌‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​‌‍​‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‌⁠⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍‌‌​‍‌‌‍‌‌‍⁠‍‌‍‍‍​⁠​‌‌‍​‍​⁠‍​‌‌​‌​⁠‌‍​⁠​⁠‌‍​⁠‌‍​‌‌‌​⁠​⁠‍​​⁠‌⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

, I totally get it! Once, I had someone submit a picture of a worn-out lawnmower but claimed it was brand new. You’d think they’d at least check online — like you said, a quick Google search could save them the embarrassment.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌‍‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠​⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠‌‍​‌‌‍​⁠‌‍​⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠‌‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​‌‍​‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠​‌​⁠‍​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌​⁠‌‌‍​‌‍‍‍​⁠​⁠‌​‍‍‌‌‍‍‌⁠‌⁠‌‍‌‍‌​⁠‌​‍⁠‌‌‍​‍‌⁠‍​‌‍‌​‌‍⁠⁠‌​⁠‍‌⁠‍​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

But it’s wild how some people think they can pull a fast one. I had someone submit a photo of an ancient coffee maker but claimed it was on sale for over $300! You’d think they’d at least clean it up a bit. @lily_chen2001, sometimes I wonder if they just enjoy the thrill of the chase rather than the actual payoff?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌‍‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠​⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠‌‍​‌‌‍​⁠‌‍​⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠‌‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​‌‍​‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠​‌​⁠‍​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌‍​⁠​‌​⁠​​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‍​‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‌​‌‌‌⁠‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠⁠‌​⁠‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‍⁠‍‌​‍​‌​⁠⁠​⁠​​‌⁠‍‍‌​‌‌‌​​⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​

It’s hilarious how some people forget that the internet exists! I once had a client try to claim their grandma’s old typewriter was a rare collector’s item worth a fortune. I guess they didn’t realize a quick search could help them avoid that kind of embarrassment. @harper_m89, it’s definitely a mix of laziness and hopefulness.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌‍‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠​⁠‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠‌‍​‌‌‍​⁠‌‍​⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠‌‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​‌‍​‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​⁠​⁠​‌​⁠‍​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌‍​⁠​‌​⁠​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠​‌‌‍​‌⁠‍‌​⁠‌​‌‍⁠​‌⁠​​‌​‌⁠‌​‍‍​⁠‌​‌⁠‌⁠‌​⁠​​⁠​​‌⁠‍‌‌‍‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‍​‍​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​​